IMPACT is hiring Lead Self-Defense Instructors!
Read on to learn more about the position and how to apply.
PART-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
COACH/LEAD SELF-DEFENSE INSTRUCTOR FOR IMPACT: A FULL-CONTACT, TRAUMA-INFORMED EMPOWERMENT SELF-DEFENSE PROGRAM
IMPACT: A Division of Triangle
Variable Schedule, some weekday daytime availability is strongly preferred
IMPACT Boston is a nationally recognized abuse and violence prevention organization that teaches empowerment self-defense. Our curriculum presents students with realistic scenarios of threat, intimidation, and imminent danger. Our organizational philosophy emphasizes abuse prevention, healing, empowerment, social justice, and trauma awareness.
IMPACT teaches adults, teens, and children of all genders, and has specific programs for people with disabilities, abuse survivors, LGBTQ people, women of color, frontline human service workers, high school, and middle school students. Research on graduates of IMPACT shows that the training reduces symptoms of PTSD in survivors of child abuse and domestic violence and that it increases students’ self-efficacy and self-confidence.
IMPACT is hiring lead instructors (also known as coaches) to teach self-defense classes as part of a mixed gendered teaching team. In IMPACT’s training model, coaches demonstrate self-defense techniques in simulated scenarios with another instructor who wears special padding and plays the role of an aggressor. Coaches then instruct the class in the techniques and provide instructional and emotional support for students as they attempt the scenario.
We are looking for candidates with a strong commitment to preventing violence and a social justice lens. No self-defense experience is necessary. Extensive paid training is provided.
Instructors are needed to work part-time on a varied schedule (some availability during weekday daytime hours is preferred). Teaching involves travel that is mostly within Eastern Massachusetts with occasional trips to Western Massachusetts and other New England states. Mileage is reimbursed.
IMPACT graduates are strongly encouraged to apply. Other qualified applicants will be given the opportunity to take an IMPACT class as part of instructor training.
- Ability and willingness to teach a physically demanding curriculum
- Ability and willingness to provide support to students through a training process that is at times difficult and emotionally charged
- Good physical condition—experience in sports, martial arts, dance, movement or other physical activity is preferred
- Some experience with teaching, acting, public speaking, counseling, martial arts, athletics, youth development, or work with trauma survivors
- Ability and willingness to speak in front of groups
- Understanding of the effects of abuse and trauma or willingness to learn
- Understanding of feminist, anti-racist, and social justice perspectives on teaching self-defense or willingness to learn
- Experience working with teens and middle school students or strong willingness to teach self-defense to young people
- Reliable access to a car or ability to travel to multiple locations by public transit
- Ability to answer emails or text messages during weekday daytime hours is preferred
Compensation is $29-52 per hour for teaching and $17.60 per hour for training and administrative work, plus mileage reimbursement for off-site classes.
IMPACT is part of Triangle, Inc. and this position is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) collective bargaining unit. There are scheduled annual pay increases based on the union contract.
Please send a resume and an email explaining why you are interested in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.