IMPACT is hiring Suited Instructors!
Read on to learn more about the position and how to apply.
PART-TIME EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
SUITED SELF-DEFENSE INSTRUCTOR FOR IMPACT, A FULL-CONTACT, TRAUMA-INFORMED EMPOWERMENT SELF-DEFENSE PROGRAM
IMPACT: A Division of Triangle
Variable Schedule, some weekday daytime availability is strongly preferred
IMPACT Boston is a nationally recognized abuse and violence prevention organization that teaches empowerment self-defense. Our curriculum presents students with realistic scenarios of threat, intimidation and imminent danger. Our organizational philosophy emphasizes abuse prevention, healing, empowerment, social justice, and trauma awareness.
IMPACT teaches adults, teens and children of all genders, and has specific programs for people with disabilities, abuse survivors, LGBTQ people, women of color, frontline human service workers, high school, and middle school students. Research on graduates of IMPACT shows that the training reduces symptoms of PTSD in survivors of child abuse and domestic violence and that it increases students’ self-efficacy and self-confidence.
IMPACT is hiring suited instructors to teach self-defense classes as part of a mixed gendered teaching team. In IMPACT’s training model, suited instructors play a unique role that involves both teaching physical and verbal skills and portraying a realistic assailant in simulated attack scenarios with students.
Suited instructors wear full body armor specifically designed to protect them in scenarios in which students strike as hard as they can.
We are looking for candidates with a strong commitment to preventing violence and the willingness to play these multiple roles. No self-defense experience is necessary. Extensive paid training is provided.
Instructors are needed to work part-time on a varied schedule that includes weekday daytime hours and involves travel that is mostly within Eastern Massachusetts with occasional trips to Western Massachusetts and other New England states. Mileage is reimbursed.
- Ability and willingness to teach a physically demanding curriculum
- Ability and willingness to be emotionally supportive and encourage each student to take on the level of challenge that is right for them
- Good physical condition—experience in contact sports, martial arts or other physically demanding activity is preferred
- Ability and willingness to play the role of an aggressor in simulated attack scenarios
- Some experience with teaching, acting, public speaking, counseling, martial arts, athletics, youth development, or work with trauma survivors
- Experience working with teens and middle school students or strong willingness to teach self-defense to young people
- Reliable access to a car and ability to answer emails or text messages during weekday daytime hours is preferred
- Availability during weekday daytime hours is preferred
Compensation is $27-50 per hour for teaching and $16.28 per hour for training and administrative work, plus mileage reimbursement for off-site classes.
IMPACT is part of Triangle, Inc. and this position is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) collective bargaining unit and there will be scheduled annual pay increases based on the union contract.